About Warringah's Rates



Rates FAQ

Are you a pensioner or experiencing hardship?

 We can offer you assistance and alternative payment options. Find the relevant forms under links.

Do you need your 603 certificate urgently?

If you require the 603 certificate more urgently, you can pay the urgency fee (as per the application form) and receive your certificate while you wait.

How are my rates assessed?

Your rates assessment is made up of two components:
    -a charge covering Waste Management Services (residential properties only)
    -a rate amount based on the land value of your property
Your rates are assessed over a financial year and there are four due dates for payment: 31 August, 30 November, 28 February and 31 May.
A reminder notice will be sent to you prior to the due dates for the last three instalments.

How is interest charged?

If an instalment is not paid on or before the due date, the instalment will become overdue and will be known as "Arrears".

Arrears rates will be subject to daily interest in accordance with the provisions of The Local Government Act, 1993 at the interest rate approved by the Minister for Local Government.

The interest percentage will be shown on the front of your Rate Notice. For the financial year 2014/2015 this percentage is set at 8.5% per annum.

Arrears rates may also be subject to recovery proceedings by Council and may incur recovery costs.

How and when is land valued?

The land values assigned for rating purposes are supplied by the Valuer General's Office. These valuations are made every three years (approximately).

Can I appeal against land valuations?

Any objections or appeals regarding the valuation of the land value must be directed to the Valuer General's Office. The rates must be paid by the due date indicated on the front of your Rate Notice even if an objection is pending.

See Valuer General’s website provided under the links section or phone 1800 110 038.

Landowners also have the option to write to Valuation Objections – Customer Service at  PO Box 745, Bathurst  NSW  2795.

Is there land that is exempt from rates?

Certain land is exempt from rating (referred to as "Non-Rateable Land").

In order to be eligible for exemption from rating (Non-Rateable Land) your parcel of land must be one of the following categories, as stipulated in the Local Government Act, 1993, they include;

  • Churches
  • Minister's residences
  • Schools
  • Public Land
  • Hospitals
  • Land owned and used by Public Charities and certain other land as provided in the provisions of the sections 555 and 556 of the Local Government Act, 1993.

You may apply to have your property exempt from rating, or appeal Council's decision, in the Land and Environment Court.

Further information regarding non-rateable land may be obtained from Rates on 9942 2922.

How is Mixed Development land evaluated?

In general, a Mixed Development rating allows a property to receive a combination of residential and business rates due to the property having dual use.

For example, a residential property may also double as a corner shop, or doctor's surgery, or solicitor's office. Therefore, the residential and business rates will be levied, according to the proportion that each usage has to the whole of the property.

Previously, Mixed Development land was categorised according to its dominant use. Therefore, if a property was used for dual purposes of (for example) a residence and a corner shop, and the corner shop was determined to be the dominant use, the property would have been categorised and rated as business.

The Local Government Act, 1993 was amended during 1997, by the Local Government Amendment Act, 1997, which provided for Mixed Development rating and took effect from 1 July 1997.

The amendment allows a parcel of land occupied, or used solely as one building comprising a residence and a business, to be considered for Mixed Development rating, if it can be separately occupied for both business and residential purposes. If it is not currently occupied, or used, it must be constructed, or adapted, or designed, so that it can be separately occupied for both residential and business purposes.

The Valuer General's Department supplies Council with a Mixed Development Apportionment Factor (MDAF), for land subject to Mixed Development rating if they deem it applicable, following application by Council to the Valuer General’s Department (often on behalf of and as a result of the property owner’s request).

Rates and charges are apportioned according to the MDAF. If, for example, a parcel of mixed development land has an MDAF of 60%, rates and charges may be apportioned as: Residential 40% and Business 60%.

Any additional information you may require regarding Mixed Development rating, can be obtained by contacting us on 9942 2922.

How do I change my name on my rates notice?

If you have changed your name that appears on your Rate Notice (example, by way of marriage or Deed Poll), you must contact the Land and Property Information (LPI) NSW office.

The Land and Property Information (LPI) NSW office will require a copy of all supporting documentation to process the alteration to your name.

The Land and Property Information (LPI) NSW office will alter the deeds and notify Council.

See the LPI website provided under the links section or Phone: 9228 6666.

How does Pensioner Concession work?

To be an eligible pensioner you must be liable for the rates and charges on a property. This property will need to be your sole or principal residence, and you must have a current pensioner concession card issued by Centrelink or the Department of Veteran's Affairs, or you :

  • are TPI under the Veterans' Entitlement Act, 1986, or
  • receive a general rate of pension adjusted for extreme disablement under section 22 (4) of the Veterans' Entitlement Act 1986 of the Commonwealth, or
  • receive a special rate of pension under section 24 of that Act.

Please Note:

If you start receiving a pension after the commencement of a quarterly billing period and you meet the above conditions, you can claim a rebate from the start of the next quarterly billing period.

If you cease to qualify as an eligible pensioner, you will not be entitled to receive a rebate after the end of the quarterly billing period in which you ceased to be eligible. Therefore, if you were granted a pensioner rebate in advance that you are no longer entitled to, it will be charged back to your rate account for the period pertaining to your ineligibility.

Please contact Council on 9942 2922 immediately if your eligibility changes.

Can I aggregate multiple lots?

When purchasing a property, an owner may find that their car space and/or storage lot is identified on a different lot to their unit. Under the normal rating process, the unit, car space and storage lot will all be rated separately.

An individual can however apply to Council to have multiple lots aggregated for rating purposes. The separate lots need to be in identical ownership and used in connection with each other.

If you believe your property may be eligible, please contact us on 9942 2922.

How is land categorised?

Council has declared each parcel of rateable land within Warringah to be either residential or business.

A ratepayer may apply to Council to have a land category reviewed at any time.

If you feel your categorisation is incorrect, you can discuss this with a member of the rates team by calling 9942 2922. A Re-Categorisation request must be lodged in writing or by email to council@warringah.nsw.gov.au.  Your request should provide details of the former and current use, dates usage was changed and evidence to support the proposed category and date of change.

What are my obligations for land category changes?

The ratepayer must notify Council within thirty (30) days when a land category changes from one category to another.

Why domestic waste management is a separate charge

Council must levy a separate charge for Domestic Waste Management Services. The cost of these services cannot be financed from ordinary rates and the charge must be sufficient to recover the reasonable costs of providing the services.

Domestic waste management charges include garbage, clean-up and recycling services.

Can I Appeal Against a Declaration of Category?

If you are dissatisfied with Council's declaration of the category of your land after it has been reviewed, or the date of the category of your land is to take effect, you may appeal to the Land and Environment Court within 30 days after the declaration is made, under Section 526 of the Local Government Act 1993.

Is GST Applicable on Domestic Waste Services?

Council Rates and Domestic Waste Service charges are all exempt from GST.

What is a Section 603 Certificate?

The Certificate states what rates or charges are due or payable to Council for a parcel of land.

This certificate is generally issued as part of the conveyancing process as 'conclusive proof' in favour of the bona fide purchaser as to outstanding rates and charges on the subject property for a particular point in time.

Solicitors, real estate agents and members of the public may make an application for a certificate.

Is GST applicable to Statutory Fees for 603 Certificates?


What is the processing time for a Section 603 Certificate?

The usual processing time for a Section 603 certificate is between 24-48 hours from the date of receipt and payment. The certificate may be ordered through the mail, over the counter at Council's Customer Service Centre or by fax.