Warringah Council has an effective program of registering and inspecting all public swimming pools and spas in Warringah to ensure that required public health standards of cleanliness and disinfection are being maintained.
Public swimming pools and spas are defined as swimming pools and spa pools to which the public is admitted, whether free of charge, on payment of a fee or otherwise, including swimming pools and spa pools:
· to which the public is admitted as an entitlement of membership of a club
· provided at a workplace for the use of employees
· provided at a hotel, motel or guest house or at holiday units, or similar facility, for the use of guests
· provided at a school or hospital
· not included are swimming pools or spa pools in private residential premises
Public Health Requirements
The occupier of a public swimming pool or spa must comply with the Public Health Regulation 2012.
Pools that are a risk to public health may be issued with an order requiring that the pool be closed.
Complying with the Public Swimming Pools and Spa Pools Advisory Document (2013), published by the Department of Health, is a defence to a prosecution.